Author Posts

May 19, 2015 at 8:50 am

I think that making your game readable should be one of the top priority of the developer. You can have the best gameplay in the whole multiverse, but if a player can’t follow what is going on the screen, it is worthless.

A few days ago I finished a prototype for a 2D rpg game, with an intended Dynamic fighting system. On the paper it should have been very cool, but in practice I realized that it wasn’t readable enough and no amount of tutorial text could have help. I had to rethink the core rules, make them clearer.

I read this good article on gamasutra who talk about Bloodborne. And even if the game is hardcore, it is also clearly readable. Making it hard but fair. And nothing more frustrating than an unfair game 🙂

May 19, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Interesting. Along with clear readabilty I like a game with an easy entry level so that it is fun when you first play it, but it’s mechanics allow for more advanced play as the player gets gets used to it all.

A lot of games do this well. Portal two had a wonderful tutorial that made learning the mechanics a lot of fun. It then progressed in difficulty as your skill improved. It also didn’t hold your hand the whole way through, which is good.

May 29, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Building on what @admin said about easing players into a mechanic, even the most unnatural/out-of-the-box mechanics can be learned. And most of the time, if your presentation (both of the opening level/scene and the overall game) is strong enough, players will put in the effort to do that learning.

This video is long-winded and maybe makes a few too many generalizations, but it gets the point across. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Fg76c4Zfg