Author Posts

June 17, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Organization is one of the most important parts of any game, and there’s a variety of ways to handle it. For music especially, I found that a Google Spreadsheet works best. On the first page you can put down your columns (for example, based on the project’s individual needs):

Name of Song ; Description ; Genre ; Where it’s Used ; Who Composed it ; Sharing Link

And your rows would be the different tracks. On a second page you can differentiate between Songs and Effects. It’s what I’ve been using for Project Era and I’m a little surprised how well it has worked out for organization. Different composers can reserve songs from there, they can share drafts, and they can keep track of who deserves the credit for the specific sections of the soundtrack. I’m almost tempted to carry out spreadsheets for the other sections (artwork, storyboards, etc.) since Google Drive’s real time usage and convenient placement next to emails makes for a sort of game design HUB. We’ve used Trello and free forums, but it’s just so much easier and focused when it’s on something as personal as a Google account.

However, this is just an example of what I’ve been doing and there could be better ways to organize a soundtrack (or artwork, storyboards, etc.) than this example. How do you handle organization for your own project(s)?

June 22, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Your approach sounds good. Thanks for sharing your ideas 🙂 Let me add some thoughts: Not about the actual producation phase, but about the pre-production phase instead.

I’m currently in a team, where we try to agree on loudness (useful to know what this means!), the format, the use of instruments, VSTs, style, mood, reference links, effects, motifs, etc.

So we basically made a small document where we gather all necessary informations and references (links).

Its no good, if one is doing a loud piece in mp3, the other is doing a rather silent piece in ogg, and the third one is doing a rock piece …, while original a old school sound was whished by the Team Leader … basically its good if you have variety, however there should be also some homogeneity.

So I suggest to make a little document with all necessary informations, so every musician and sound designer has quick access and is on the same page. This document should be created in collaboration. Google Doc is quite good, because its realtime editing.

That are my thoughts on music organisation (pre-production) in a larger team with more musicians.

Square 🙂