Author Posts

June 4, 2017 at 5:46 pm

I went to programming school from 2005 to 2008, then flunked it and became a cook. Since then I have continued to learn php programming on my own, as well as some javascript, css and svg. I’m also an artist. I have an old version of Photoshop I use for most of my art. I also used to work on Flash, but I can’t do that anymore since I’m refusing to pay so much for a program I wouldn’t be using constantly. I used to like doing things in Actionscript but I never really finished anything. I have a bad habit of starting things and getting carried away, never finishing anything.

My current project is called Otherworld. I initially started working on the idea back in 2011 but only started programming it in June 2016. It has it’s own server and multiple testers, but most of them have fallen inactive. A lot of core mechanics are yet to be implemented and also it needs values to differentiate resources, such as nutrition rates and growth rates. My intention is to have most features out within a year because after that I will have to start paying a full price for the server, and if by that point it’s not in a stage where somebody would be convinced enough to donate money, I’m not sure if it will ever reach that point.

It’s basically offspring of Cantr.net with influence from Fairytale Online. I’m planning to learn from their mistakes and have a good community that avoids the pitfalls of those other games. I want mods to be fair, not power hungry, and active enough that players can trust them to resolve conflicts, without leading into a requirement of players taking justice into their own hands. I don’t want a game that allows a loner to massacre a whole community without an ingame reason, so I’m potentially considering that people would have to justify player killing to mods in advance to ensure it advances the big story. There are NPCs, so you can have people die for you without players having to suffer, but NPCs also have feelings and won’t tolerate being used as cannon fodder indefinitely. Things have consequences. I would rather have a system similar to chatroom rpgs where player characters only die when their player consents to it. The game might warn you if you are engaging in an action that is potentially fatal. If you want to end the life of your character, you can choose from multiple options that make sense, such as falling off a cliff in the mountains, dying of disease, drowning or getting bit by a snake. We are all parts of a larger story that has multiple sub plots.

June 6, 2017 at 8:18 am

Hi Ilona! Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have a ton of skills that you’re putting to use – Otherworld sounds really interesting.

Planning to learn from your mistakes… I’m with you there! Best way to learn 🙂