Author Posts

June 10, 2015 at 1:08 am

Hey guys, I’m Josh, 16 years old soon to head off to college for a games development degree, straight to a Level 3 qualification. I’m a little nervous doing this sort of thing, as I’ve only really worked on projects with close friends before, and I tend to be very OCD about some things. I do often fret that I’ll screw up, but I believe that persuades me to do a better job of things off the mark. I’ve always loved video games, and always wondered how they worked, so I got into programming from the age of 13, I believe. I’ve previously worked with GameMaker (The built in language, not the GUI based system); Unity (4 mainly); and Adventure Game Studio, which uses C# IIRC.

I’m also based in the UK, so I’d prefer a close timezone, though I am posting this in 2 in the morning, so I guess it doesn’t matter too much right now.

So, as I tend to end my introductions on forums: How are you?

June 10, 2015 at 8:04 am

Hi Joshua,

Being OCD may help for certain phase of the development it may also infuriate some of you colleagues though 😀

Good luck for your game development degrees and welcome here!

And I’m fine, thank you ^^

June 10, 2015 at 9:32 am

Hi Joshua, nice to meet you.

Don’t worry about screwing up – I honestly think its the best way to learn and improve. I am always messing this site up as I try to improve it 😀

I love adventure game studio, played some great games that were made on it.

If you are interested in a 2 week project and good experience with working with people online, our first game jam is going to take place in a couple of weeks – would love it if you had time to join it http://ludust.wpengine.com/forums/topic/gamejampacked/

I am very well thanks!

June 10, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hi Josh! I’m doing fantastic, minus some lack of sleep hehe.

It’s amazing that you’re doing something you’re passionate about so young! Making games at 16 – wow. Good for you. Getting a head start in your journey towards game making awesomeness is a good sign that you’ll do well in college. Don’t sweat it. 🙂

June 10, 2015 at 10:27 am

Thanks so much for the warm welcome guys!

@Navezof – Thanks man, it means a lot, as I am a little nervous of the course, yet incredibly excited. It’s somewhat weird that I’m going on to do that course actually; due to the fact that in the current school I’ve got a diploma in level 2 engineering, but it’s more of a fallback option. Again, thanks man (I like the Dungeon Keeper icon – Are the shades from Gurren Lagann?)

@Mr. Admin – Personally I won’t be joining the gamejam, unfortunately, I really need to ‘Shed some rust’ and get back in the saddle – So to speak. I haven’t booted up unity or done any programming for a couple months, but I’ll definitely take this as a good chance to start back up again. If I pick it back up immediately, then I’ll consider joining, I’ll see how it goes.

@Wifom – I’m am quite glad I’ve gotten into it quite soon, it has really solidified my life options, and I’ve known what I’ve wanted to get int0 for ages – this. And again, thanks for the kind comments about college 🙂

So, a semi-unrelated point:  How many of you have heard of “Sonic and All Stars Racing – Transformed”? What about LittleBigPlanet? The main devs behind those games, Sumo Digital, is based right in my city, which is really awesome. What is more awesome is that I got to meet the guy who I believe owns the business now. I’m not trying to brag, just share experiences, I apolgise if I come off as cocky!

June 10, 2015 at 2:17 pm

@artyomtdo Yep, one of the best game ever combined with one of the best anime ever, double the awesomeness!

LittleBigPlanet is fairly well known (I think) even if I never played myself. It’s good that you were able to meet the owner of the studio, did you try to talk to him about your course? If you have the occasion don’t hesitate to ask him more question (you don’t have anything to lose) And that could be a plan for the future, people tend to hire people they know. Anyway, thanks for sharing with us.

June 10, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Unfortunately Navezof, it was a one time only thing, and they’re becoming a larger and larger studio with each game. I doubt I’d be able to get in there, but it was just a bit of trivia more than anything. To be honest, I think I’d prefer working on smaller stuff anyway, at least in the near future.