Author Posts

June 8, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Mark your calendars, ladies and gents! It’s time for the very first game jam hosted by Ludust. Can you hear the clock ticking as time draws closer to the start? We’re super excited to bring you #GameJamPacked!

The Quick Deets
Title: Game JamPacked :: Ludust Edition
Description: A game jam to bring the forces of composers, coders, and everyone else together.
Date: July 1 ~ July 15
Theme: A life-changing beginning
Judges: Stu Maxwell, Darren Kwok
Hosted by: Ludust
Sponsored by:
Ludust
Big Steps Studio
MoeNovel
Aaron Dryhurst
Darren Kwok
Prizes:
Tshirts, Mousepads, Wristbands, Feature, Humble Bundles, Keys for Malwarebytes anti virus software.

Hear All About It
Game JamPacked is a friendly game jam that wants to pit teams of game dev heroes against each other with all their tricks on the table. It’ll be an event not to miss, jampacked with a hot mess of crazy pro game making.

The goal of the game jam is to bring a flicker of competition to a fun hackathon with a musical twist. We want the focus of this game jam to be on music and coding. Art, writing, and design are all beautiful elements that add so much glory to any product, but where’s all the love for our composers and hackers? #GameJamPacked aims to bring light to all the genius musical makers and coding wizards.

JamPacked runs from July 1st to July 15th. All games are due at 11:59PM of your own timezone. We will be allowing a 12 hour discrepancy for time zone complications.
Listen Up
Here are some rules you should keep in mind.

• You can work in teams of up to 4 people.
  • Any and all game code and content must be made during the game jam’s time frame (July 1 ~ July 15). You may, however, use pre-existing frameworks/engines
  • or begin creating your own custom ones before the game jam. Basically, if we’ll see (or hear) it when we play it, you can’t write it.
    • Examples of acceptable engines: Ren’py for visual novels, custom battle engines for RPG, etc.
  • All the assets in the game must be made by your team or you must own the legal rights to use them.
  • No plagiarism, no exceptions.
  • Have fun and kick some butt!

Want to Join?
Great! Luckily, it’s not that hard. Anyone of all ages, gamers and non-gamers alike, can join in on the fun. Sign up on itch.io and upload your entry, making sure you submit it to our game jam.

Please remember to include a thorough description of how to play the game when you submit it. I think we’d all agree that the limited time spent on figuring out the controls could have been time spent playing the game.

Oh, and don’t forget to tweet about #GameJamPacked. We can use all the love we can get! ❤
Other Snippets of Stuff
Submissions will be judged by a panel of experienced indie game makers and critics in the video game industry.

We will be using a point system with categories to boost up your total.

1. Theme Song (15 points)
a) Yes, we want to hear a glorious song that sums up your entire video game in just 1 minute.
2. Sound effects (10 points)
a) This includes things such as footsteps, the blowing wind, clicks, level ups, etc. Anything and everything that makes the game feel complete and yet be subtle.
3. Background music (10 points)
Mind-boggling audio that sets the tone and the mood just right is what every game should strive to do!
4. Visuals (5 points)
a) 5 points may be slightly measly for everything a player will see, but we want to emphasize the musicality of this game.
5. Story & Game Design (5 points)
a) How does the game play? Is it smooth sailing and provide a touch of great game design?
b) We will also judge how well you play to the theme. If your submission fails to present anything related to the theme, we will dock 30 points.
6. Devlog (5 points)
a) What a lot of indie developers forget is how important it is to build up an audience and fanbase. Say you make the best game, if no one knows it, no one will play. Make regular updates on your devlog as the game jam progresses. The more activity, the better.
Prizes
Down to the best part.

We will be choosing 3 winners among the entries. They will be ranked first, second and third, and prizes will be distributed based on tiers. Here are a sample list of things you will be seeing.

More prizes to come; list still being organized:

• GameJamPacked Winner T-Shirt
  • GameJamPacked Winner Mousepad
  • GameJamPacked Winner Wristband
  • 15 steam keys for “My Heart Has Wings”
  • Promotional artwork for your game by Wifom (optional)
  • Full feature on Ludust
  • Humble Bundles games up to 4 per person

Get Started!
Well, what are you waiting for? Start building groups of other game devs & use Ludust to help create the dream team and win sweet swag!

There is now an option to add a tag to your Ludust project to indicate the team is meant for Game JamPacked.

June 8, 2015 at 4:20 pm

This sounds great! Will see if I can get a team together.

June 8, 2015 at 4:39 pm

My scholar year finishes that week, so hopefully I will be able to make something for the jam

June 8, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Awesome! Really looking forward to your guys’ contributions. c:

June 8, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Congratulations on the first game jam announcement!
This is really exciting to join, I hope I can find a team to contribute 🙂
Some questions though,

Basically, if we’ll see (or hear) it when we play it, you can’t write it.

I could not understand what this mean 😮

Examples of acceptable engines: Ren’py for visual novels, custom battle engines for RPG, etc.

Unity and UE4 are acceptable right?

By the way, really loves the GameJamPacked logo!

June 8, 2015 at 5:10 pm

@furibaito: Sorry for the confusing message!

You can make back-end stuff – frameworks/engines/anything that the user can’t “see” – but things like dialogue, narration, character / pixel art and sprites, music we’ll hear (background, trailer, etc.), etc. can’t be made prior to the start date. You can work on anything to help you set up for the game jam, like if you are implementing a custom battle system. Or you can use a custom engine you published before (or use someone else’s through stuff like GitHub or something).

Any engine (Unity, Unreal, RPG Maker, Ren’py, etc.) works! We just don’t want teams to work on things we can see/hear in the game itself. Anything you use to “make” the game is fair play. 😀

Hopefully that clears things up. If not, I’ll try to reword things!

June 8, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Thanks Wifom for organising this! Really looking forward to it.

I have updated the project creation so you can choose if the project is for this game jam. These projects will also get their own section on the site.

June 8, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Is there no requirement on a topic the game should be about?

June 8, 2015 at 11:39 pm

@miroslav_kaspar: That’s the catch! The theme / topic won’t be announced until the game starts on July 1 to prevent people from starting their games early (in other words, cheating). So be sure to check in on July 1 to know what the theme will be.

June 8, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Sounds crazy good! Will there be a thread for gathering up groups to work on the games?

June 8, 2015 at 11:45 pm

@awesomeyears – That sounds like a great idea! I’ll start one up very soon. 🙂 We just want to encourage people to also sign up a project through Ludust rather than just solely relying on the forums. That way, it encourages people to use the Ludust platform for project recruiting.

Thanks for the suggestion!

June 9, 2015 at 1:12 am

Sounds great, definitely up for this 😀

June 9, 2015 at 1:18 am

@jfaferrie1 Excited to hear that! 🙂

@everyone – Just posted up the recruitment thread! Be sure to create a Ludust Project page if you’re a team looking for members. Here’s the link – http://ludust.wpengine.com/forums/topic/gamejampacked-recruitment-%F0%9F%8C%9F/

June 9, 2015 at 4:51 am

Hi all,

This is Darren, one of the judges. Bribery currently accepted

Jokes aside, best of luck to all of you! ^^

June 9, 2015 at 4:56 am

@barzini Lmao. That would be cheating!