Author Posts

June 6, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Hi everyone, I am almost at the point where I have time to advertise the site a bit and I thought I would ask you guys for suggestions l on how to do this.

Do you think forum posts on game development sites is the best way, or has anybody other ideas? I could pay for a little advertising if it’s a good idea.

I know I have to get better at using Twitter regularly and I will work on that 😀

June 6, 2015 at 8:11 pm

@admin You should check if you can post on game engine community forums. On the ones I have been on, there are many posts of artists and game developers looking for work, ie:

forums.gamesalad.com

hope this helps

June 6, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Alex! I think am going to do just that as those forums have people who will hopefully be interested in the site.

I have mentioned the site on a couple of game engine forums in the past, but there are loads I haven’t been on. I have never even heard of game salad!

June 6, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Twitter is also a good place. Tweeting about new features, featured project, following project, etc….

June 6, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I guess twitter needs to become part of my routine 🙂

June 7, 2015 at 2:33 am

Me myself also have a difficulty at promoting something so I couldn’t provide with good advices.

However, whenever I ask some pros, without no budget they always said that Social Medias (Game-devs forums too!) are your friend. Along with reddit too, but watch out for the self-promotion rules on reddit 🙂

Please note that this is just a personal opinion. But I wouldn’t suggest paid advertisements for now because I think the site is not quite mature yet. Don’t get me wrong, I really loved the site but it still has some issues and confusion on its new user experience. The point is, when we are investing in advertisements, with the same amount of money (even a little amount of it) it’ll be much more worth it if the site has becoming more user-friendly.

And I’ll be sure to promote Ludust.com whenever my game has been released 😀

June 7, 2015 at 6:41 am

@furibaito Thanks for the advice. I love Reddit but yeah I don’t want to spam it 🙂

I think you are totally right about paid advertisements – maybe in a few months time once I have sorted issues and made improvements. I really appreciate the honest feedback!

“And I’ll be sure to promote Ludust.com whenever my game has been released”

😀 you’re the best!

June 8, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Some Twitter / Social media tips:

– Use hashtags! Some key ones are… #gamedev #indiedev #gamedevhour #screenshotsaturday #wipwednesday There are a bunch more, but can’t think of them at the top of my head
– Use project samples and game play through vine to show videos
– Make trailers or use people’s trailers? 😀

Reddit hands down is always a good place to generate some hype. Great subforums:
r/GameDev
r/IndieGaming
r/GameDevClassifieds
r/INAT
r/GameDesign

And some press is great! If you can get onto places like Gamasutra, Kotaku, etc… that’ll definitely generate tons of traffic. 😀

June 8, 2015 at 5:43 pm

@wifom some great ideas and advice!

I am going to start promoting each game put on the site on twitter – pictures/videos/hashtags will help 😀

I love reddit of course <3 Just got to resist spamming haha

June 8, 2015 at 5:44 pm

@admin: Haha, yea. Social media… oh boy. A whole other picture.

And I totally feel you about the spamming issue haha, but I’m sure you can do x-posts and stuff.

June 9, 2015 at 12:47 am

Haha the subreddit /r/pixelart is actually how I found out about Ludust, so you’ve done a good job promoting so far 😉

June 9, 2015 at 5:31 am

@awesomeyears – Ohhh! That’s super cool! 😀

Also, a couple more ideas for advertising:

Going to forums and websites that are specific to each “role.” For example, voice acting: anyone and everyone who wants a VA role goes to Voice Acting Alliance. All things Visual Novels usually are discussed through the LemmaSoft Forums.

Not sure about music and writing, but maybe we can dig a bit more on those! 🙂

Oh, also Facebook groups too! If we can find the right public groups that help developers (and other roles) find positions in the gaming industry, that could be a great platform for exposure.

June 9, 2015 at 6:22 am

For music, go to indiedb. For writing, go to fanfiction or fictionpress for a good dosage of writers 🙂

June 9, 2015 at 8:05 am

Thanks guys! I am going to try all of those avenues. I have posted on LemmaSoft already and they were really friendly and enthusiastic. I posted on indiedb the other day too and am getting some good feedback. A user just mentioned I should integrate bitcoin to allow kickstarter like functionality. I will make a thread to discuss such things soon.

I have not heard of most of the other places mentioned… yet 🙂

Hey Luca, glad you saw my thread on pixel art. What is a composer doing on /r/pixelart 😀 Glad you saw my post there though!

June 10, 2015 at 1:48 am

@admin I thought pixel art was interesting and was looking at them. 😛